Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BEEP BEEP + Temple of Literature

The next day I walked about a mile and crossed several streets like this:


And that was a low volume traffic.  I've been through worse.  At first it was really scary but now I somewhat like it.  It is like a challenge, a real life Frogger.

The thing that annoys me the most is the incessant honking.  I live off the street and I can still hear the honking from 7 am to 8 pm.  People honk for any reason, just to tell people their presence even though you see them, they honk when traffic slows down, when there is a red light, when people are on the sidewalk (yes they drive on the sidewalk)...argh.  One thing you have to learn is not to take anything personal.  Nhung, my guide from the University, told me that after a month, I should be able to ignore it.  Eh, we'll see.

Anyways I went to the oldest university in Vietnam, Van Mieu (Temple of Literature).  History lesson via picture (plus you see me taking the pic):

Click me for a bigger pic...

The Temple of Literature also cost 10000 dong and I thought it was better than Ngoc Son, the previous temple (the red bridge is free to stand and take pics and you are not missing much if you don't visit the Ngoc Son temple, in my opinion).

I also went across the street and went to the Vietnam Museum of Fine Arts.  Cameras were not allowed and it cost 20000.  There were signs that advertised a temporary Brazilian Art exhibit but inside it said it wasn't coming until September which disappointed me.  The overall museum was pretty nice with ceramics, paintings (I saw the 10 courts of Hell), and "folksy" art (their words) which consisted of toys, clothes, and quilts from tribal communities in Vietnam.  Here is the outside:



So 1.50 for 2 tourist attractions...not bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment